Patient InformationDetails to know as you get ready for surgery
Preparing For Surgery
Our team of doctors and nurses is well equipped to help you through your procedure in a safe, effective manner. Please read the following information and instructions to prepare for your surgery.
Unless your doctor tells you differently, please follow the instructions below:
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight. This includes water, coffee, tea, soda, all types of food, candy and mints. You may brush your teeth and rinse your mouth, but do not swallow any water. These restrictions apply to children as well, however, children under 10 years of age should not brush their teeth the day of surgery.
- Your Anesthesiologist will contact you the evening prior to your scheduled surgery. Please provide the surgery center with an updated phone number where you can be reached the night before surgery.
- Take your morning medications for blood pressure, heart, lung, kidney, and liver conditions with a SMALL sip of water. Follow your surgeon’s instructions regarding your diabetes medications, blood thinners, anti-inflammatory medications, and/or herbal supplements that you currently take.
- Wear a loose, short-sleeved, non-binding shirt and comfortable pants. Please do not wear heeled shoes. Do not wear make-up or jewelry, although rings are ok.
- Bring any reading glasses, hearing aids and mobility devices, such as canes and walkers. Wheelchairs are available at the surgery center.
- Bring your picture identification and insurance card(s) to the surgery center. You may be requested to make a payment at the time of admission. We accept personal checks, cash, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Care Credit.
- Bring a current list of daily medications with their dosages and include any medications allergies.
- Bring your surgery packet and any medication(s) that your surgeon prescribed for after your procedure.
- Arrange for transportation to and from the surgery center. Public transportation is not recommended for your safety. Please arrange for someone to stay with you the night of surgery.
- Follow your doctor’s specific instructions about taking eye medications before and after surgery.
- If you develop a cold, persistent cough, fever or other health problems, or if you need to cancel your surgery, please notify your surgeon and Westside Surgery Center at 503-639-6571.
Your family may wait for you in the surgery waiting area. Due to limited space, we ask that you have no more than two people accompany you. If your family member plans to leave the surgery center, please have them tell your nurse and leave a number where they can be reached. The average “door to door” time for patients having Cataract Surgery is approximately 1 ½ hours to 2 hours.
You will be escorted directly to the recovery room from the operating room. Your family will be invited into the recovery area as soon as the nursing staff has you feeling comfortable and your vital signs are stable. You will be provided nourishment and something to drink following surgery.
Written Post-operative instructions will be given to you and your family following surgery. If you have any questions or concerns after you leave the surgery center, please contact your surgeon immediately.
We provide our patients with patient satisfaction surveys and ask for your input. We look forward to your feedback and appreciate the time you take to share your thoughts and suggestions with us.
At Westside Surgery Center, our focus is you. We specialize in efficient, minimally invasive surgical procedures such as cataract surgery, blepharoplasty, strabismus surgery, pterygium surgery, and YAG laser capsulotomy. We pride ourselves on utilizing innovations that lead to better patient outcomes and faster healing.
We are governed by HIPAA’s Notice of Privacy Practices. Please take a moment to read the notice.
What Our Patients Said
“The care was excellent. I was very confident in the staff. Everyone was very nice. It was a positive experience. Thank you all very much.” – Rosemary W.
“This was a pleasant professional experience. You are a great team. Thank you.” – Steve E.
We accept most major insurance plans. We also match in-network benefits for those plans with which we are currently out of network. Our staff will be happy to assist you in determining your benefits at our facility. We are also able to make arrangements for those patients without insurance. Please contact our business office at 503-639-6571 with any questions.
Please bring your insurance card and identification to the center on the day of your procedure. We will need to make a copy for your medical record. You may be requested to make a payment at the time of admission. We accept personal checks, cash, Visa, and Mastercard